A Personal Learning Network (PLN) is one way to stay collected with trends and issues in your field and to work, and share, collaboratively. Social media is a great way to create and maintain your PLN. PLN's are really useful because you can connect with those individuals and groups that best meet your needs. The benefits include
- access to useful resources and information;
- ability to search for new tools and innovative practices;
- thoughtful suggestions and critique of your ideas;
- helping you to think more deeply about your work;
- meeting professional contacts for job growth.
A virtual PLN can be created using social media like Twitter. A recent article by Tom Murray, Director of Technology and Cyber Education for the Quakertown School District in Bucks County, PA describes the benefits of a virtual PLN using Twitter.